Are you suffering from prenatal morning sickness?
The occurrence of symptoms such as severe nausea and vomiting during the early stage of pregnancy is usually the result of the adverse flow of stomach qi or disharmony of the Liver and Stomach. It is because that during pregnancy, the blood and nutrients of the mother are mostly allocated to the womb to nourish the fetus, making the blood bank in the Liver system deficient. The imbalance causes exuberant Liver fire which will cause other organ dysfunctions and disturb the stomach qi from descending normally. Usually after the first trimester the symptoms will be relieved without treatment.
However, in some severe cases, the symptoms are lingering, or patients experience extreme fatigue, dry skin, lowered blood pressure, light fever, and the growth of the fetus may also be affected. This is the time one should call for help.
How would a traditional Chinese medicine practitioner help?
Firstly, we need to make syndrome differentiation. Tasteless in mouth and vomiting saliva indicate spleen and stomach deficiency. Vomiting acidic, tasting bitterness, and suffering from a dry throat are signs of disharmony of Liver and Stomach. We should regulate the systems accordingly to calm the upwards reversal of qi.
Usually, a treatment plan with Chinese Herbal tea, acupuncture, navel plaster, auriculotherapy, sniff some selected essential oils are some of the remedies for morning sickness that I would recommend.
Ingredients and alternative treatments that are good for alleviating the nauseousness:
1. Chinese herbals such as tangerine peel, perilla leaf, bamboo shavings, black plum, ginger can help clear the liver heat and calm the upward flow of stomach qi.
2. Essential oil: Lemon, lavender, chamomile, peppermint, ginger can ease upset stomach and are good essential oils for morning sickness. Simply put a drop or two into a cotton ball or tissue and sniff it every other hour.
3. Navel Plaster: Mix clove and perilla stem powder with ginger juice to make a paste, then apply it onto the navel(acu-point CV8), twice a day.
4. Acupuncture: ST36, CV12, PC6 are the three most effective points for relieving the pregnancy nausea.
5. Auriculotherapy: Apply ear-seeds or ear-acupuncture on Kidney, Endocrine and Sympathetic nerve for ear-acupoint stimulation, 3-4 times a day.
Other tips to prevent and relieve morning sickness:
· Eat several small meals a day.
· Don't eat greasy and spicy foods.
· Sip on liquids that are cold, clear, and carbonated in between meals.
· Don't shift positions too quickly.
If the conditions continue and get worse, talk with your healthcare provider about other treatments.